- 1 cup of cooked rice of choice: brown, black or sushi
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 1 carrot, grated finely
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1 large beetroot, grated finely
- 1 turnip, grated finely
- handful of radishes, sliced
- pickled ginger, store-bought or homemade
- 1 small spring onion, sliced thinly
- sesame seeds, to garnish
- 200 g firm tofu, pressed*
- 2 tbsp cornflour / cornstarch
1-2 tbsp peanut oil (or other high smoke point oil), for frying (optional)
DRESSING & TOFU GLAZE
- 4 tbsp tamari (GF) or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3-4 tsp Sriracha (or wasabi to taste)
- Cut up tofu into equal-size pieces and sprinkle lightly with cornflour (if frying).
- Heat up oil in a small pan. Fry tofu in hot oil until crispy and lightly coloured on both sides. Blot fried tofu on a piece of paper towel. (2nd OPTION: If you do not want to fry your tofu, you can bake it instead. Do not sprinkle it with cornflour/cornstarch but immerse it in the glaze for 5 minutes instead. Bake it in 180 º C / 360 º F over for about 30-40 minutes and drizzle with more glaze once baked.
- Mix all the dressing / glaze ingredients together and submerge fried (or baked) tofu pieces in it for 5-10 minutes. Keep the leftover mixture afterwards as it’ll double up as dressing too.
- Divide rice, all the veg and tofu between two bowls. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and finely sliced spring onion. Serve with pickled ginger and the leftover dressing.